Tuesday, April 18, 2006

kerploosh- just call me Aquagirl!

I suppose it was only a matter of time before it happened to me. On Sunday just after noon I finally had a Fraser River baptisimal. And for three years I suppose I have been lucky.

I had just finished showing the engine room on the Bowie to a friend of Rod's. Rod owns a pretty wooden 36 foot Chris Craft like boat called the Hari Mai. He and his wife Faith were hanging out on their boat in the sunshine entertaining another couple. I was loathe to take Rod's friend down there as the cats have been going in there and making a mess. Sigh...boys and their engines.

After, I continued gathering up scrap wood down the docks past one of the neighbours where Greig had been cutting up chunks of wood. While on bended knee I smelt the stuff emanting from my shoe. I stood up took off said shoe and scraped the excess off with a stick. Put my shoe back on and then I couldn't right myself up again.

It was like a slow motion moment from the Matix. I knew I was going in and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. The river fortunately, was just ebbing on the slack tide so it wasn't running too fast.

Total submersion. As I was submerged it was all I could do to pull myself up as I felt my shoes filling. I had those rubber cotton gardening gloves on and I bobbed up once beside the speedboat tried to scream but I had no breath and down I went again.

I bobbed up again and gulped for some air. I pushed toward the speed boat and managed to grab onto a rope that was coming off the stern and which was connected to the dock. I took hold of the rope and pulled myself against the current to the dock, now managing to scream and hauled a leg onto the swimgrid of the speedboat. Hyperventilating, I hauled my soggy butt up onto the dock where I heaved for what seemed like a few minutes.

So back to the Bowie I trod looking like a drowned rat and panting like crazy to ebb the adrenaline and recover from the shock of the cold river.

"What the hell happened?" Rod hollered over as he saw me traversing the back deck of the Bowie.

"I, " heave "fell," pant "in," heave "the river." Pant, "I, " heave, heave, "guess you," pant, "couldn't" heave, " hear me scream."

"No!! Are you OK?"

"AM now!"

And he and Faith rushed over to check up on me. Bui rushed over to see me as he was doing his homework at the computer. Faith helped me out of my wet clothes and I hit the shower. Thankfully the hot water had recovered from Greig as he had gone to work.

I am sore today though and just fine. I am amazed at how much it took the breath right out of me though more than anything.
Really Mum, I am OK! Please don't freak out!

Apparently that is a good way to clean off the cat doo-do.

No comments: