Thursday, October 12, 2006


Since Jimmy and Hugh have left we now have this big lagoon on our starboard side. There is supposed to be a fishing lodge coming in to take their place but as yet it hasn't showed. We went aground on Saturday night and discovered some interesting things about our fair ship.

The first and second pictures here are of the bow and you can see there is damage down in the lower left. It is clearly quite old. Our current "natural" water level is the grey strip there.

When we first got the boat, Brian said there was seepage in the bow. We have a bilge pump up there (Mark's room) and it comes on pretty fairly regularly - I think about once a week or so. Here is why. It looks like the bugs had started to get at it at one time too.

Regardless, at 2am when we were inspecting all this, Greig and Bui decided to hose off the keel to document the condition of what is normally below the waterline. As you can see it is in pretty great shape. I can see that seepage by Bui's hand when I am inside and on the other side and it is so nominal considering the rest of the vessel and what it COULD be.

(Apologies at the poor lighting. Thecamera can only do so much under dark conditions we could only use of a trouble light and the camera's flash for lighting.) I hope this has given enough perspective. Though it is hard to see there is a ladder hanging off the ship by Bui's head. By the time I finished shooting these pics the tide had must have dropped another foot. The dock they are standing on was hanging off the ship! I had a difficult time climbing back onto that ladder to get back up and fortunately Bui rolled over a chunk of log left on the dock for me to get additional foot hold on.

I put my foot to just graze the top of the water and guess-timated that the nose was about five feet out of the water from normal. I am 5'7" and it was well above my shoulder height.

Last night we went a ground again but listed more than the night these pics were taken. Actually all the boats and the float house were stitting a bit high. We woke up at 3am to and could feel a good 20 degree list and ship creaking and popping. Doors were having trouble opening and when we did get them open some wouldn't close again. The boat went through a fairly good twisting and so we thought it would be best to stay awake...just in case. Greig drained the hot tub to remove any extra weight and a couple of hours and all was right again when the tide came back in.

We moved in a big boom stick today to keep us out from shore a bit more and Greig has put out a stern anchor and adjusted the bow anchor as well. I think that big boom stick stick will keep well us out now.

The beavers are just loving the lagoon. I am listening to them thrashing and hissing about out there as I type.

Ah...the life of us river rats.

No comments: