Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Batten the hatches

I couldn't get anyone on the phone yesterday. Greig is exceptionally good about calling me at least once during the day so I knew something was amiss.

It was an exciting day.

So at 4:30 in the afternoon when I arrived home, I was suprised to even see him as I knew he had to be at work for 5:30pm.

He said he "I woke up in the morning and the ship was wallowing, I had water up to the deck plates in the engine room. I loosened off the bow line to reset the boom stick and then the wind came up and we started drifting 45 degrees out into the river. Then I couldn't get the speed boat started and the cable also parted up forward. I only just got the shore power reconnected again. Put on another 20 feet to that. I haven't had a chance to even look at the phone line. It's been a day from hell. Oh yah, watch yourself on the stairs. They are all ripped apart."

As directed I went to check the bilges in the engine room and electrical room. He had had a pump in the lazarette and it looked done. My first pump in the engine room was running but not actually pumping. I have never seen that much water in the engine room and it was getting up to the deck plates. Enough water from about four or five hot tubs I think.

I rounded up another pump and got it going only to not have had the hose pop back out, dousing myself in bilge water. Yumm. I secured it off and got it going again, wondering if I should add another. I had it pumping from about 5:45 until 10pm last night when it was finally emptied.

I could hear a trickle coming in from somewhere and so I got on my hands and knees with a flashlight and looked behind a tool cabinet in the engine room. I could see where a pipe has become corroded or perhaps it burst during the last freeze and it's leaking close to the valve. Still, it didn't seem enough to have the engine room fill up with that much water so Greig is going to trace that back and find where another valve is to perhaps shut it off. I have no idea how there is even water in that pipe. More for the learning curve. That engine room is such a dog's breakfast!

So he has lots to do today. He has to retrieve that cable on the low tide and secure it back up. Reset that bow line and stern anchors. A trip to the scrap metal dealer is in order for some metal treads for the stairs to weld some the stairs back together. Then we both have to work on a charter tonight. Wish I was there to help him today.

And that storm is just a teaser. The "real" one is supposed to be coming Thursday though we are slated for more tonight.

Bring it on.

2 comments:

Greg and Jamie said...

Oy, woman! What a story...just another day in the life for us tough northern ladies.

I was reading your early posts today and discovered that our Greg/Greig have the Viking heritage thing in common. Perhaps it really does run in their blood.

Stay dry, keep the bilges pumped, and hang in through the coming storm for the next few days!

Powell River Books said...

What excitement. I have some experience on my float cabin on Powell Lake. We stay there in all seasons, and there have been some big blows this year. We are anchored to rock walls with steel cables and have a stiff leg to keep us from crashing inward. The winds can get quite a rhythm going with jerks at both ends. Your life on a ship sounds exciting. I'll follow your blog to learn more.

Margy