Wednesday, September 19, 2007

September postings and the tale of a bear in a peach tree.

Postings are a bit lean this month. There is lots going on - though I am not home for any of it. In my absence, Greig et al, have been busy at a bunch of things: fibreglassing, cutting firewood, fixing electrical issues, adjusting docks, making way for new docks, boats etc.

Apparently the Lightship has sold too. Which is a good thing as I'd was dreading the owner having to get rid or more of its original brass portholes just to make the moorage.

"Does this new fella know anything about boats," I asked Greig?

"Hmmm...don't think so. Not sure. Seems nice enough though."

I am back up in the Kootenays as my Dad took a turn last week. Staples from the previous week's surgery had pulled away inside and he was leaking from the small intestine into his stomach cavity. He went under for a second surgery last Wednesday. I was able to fly into Trail directly via Pacific Costal Airline's service there. It was very nice to not have to go through the main terminal at Vancouver as that one is so terribly busy. Well, busy as far as BC standards go, it's no Heathrow or O'Hare.

Old Dad has really been through the wringer these weeks. He went in by ambulance to Trail on Aug 31 with a possible strangulated hernia, and until the day before yesterday, had had NOTHING to eat for 18 days. He is finally on clear fluids though still getting a intravenous nutrition that is very high in sugar, and as a result, is throwing his blood glucose completely out of balance. On top of that to counter act that he is getting insulin as it is normally about 6 and running 18-20 now.

The day before yesterday, my brother and I took a trip home to check on the house and maybe pick SOME of the peaches. Upon arrival we inspected the garden. Gavin set about installing a new toilet they had ordered and I watered the plants in the house and the begonias by the creek. I was hunting about for the wheel barrow to use to pick the peaches when I noticed some piles of scat about. I also noticed something a bit suspicious around the peach tree.

I went back up to see brother dearest and asked him, "Gavin, do you know where the wheel barrow is and weren't there peaches on the ground around the peach tree when we got here?"

"Well, the wheel barrow is probably leaning against Woodhenge* and yes there were peaches on the ground. Why?"

"Well, there aren't any peaches there now. I think the bear has been there since we got home and he's left his calling card."

He rounded up the wheelbarrow for me and said, "Well, I have to get some more parts for this toilet. ARe you going to be OK picking these without me?"

"Oh ya, I'll scare him off if he comes around. I'll be damned if he is going to be getting anymore of these if I can help it."

And so I picked them all - about two wheelbarrows full. I kept trying to dream up some clever song about the bear and the peaches but I really suck at songwriting. It was a very itchy process. I've forgotten too how much I hate earwigs. Something I don't see much of on the coast.

Bear Bruin didn't show up again to stake any additional claim on the peaches. That was on Monday and today, Mum and I left Dad with Gavin to keep him company to tend to these bits of sunshine. I told Mum they were ripe but she didn't think they'd be as ripe as they are so we're canning peaches this very moment. It has been YEARS, since we have done this. I really miss doing this kind of thing with her: antipasto, beets, tomatoes, pears, jams, borscht.

Tomorrow morning we'll go back to Trail for the rest of the week (and probably the weekend) with Dad. Gavin is heading back up to Prince George to be with his wife and kids. Dr Britto says he is likely to come home on Monday. Regardless, I am stiking around for a couple of days after to ensure he (and mostly Mum) can handle all without me. So if we can get through the bulk of the garden produce then, and she can arrange for some homecare support while he heals from all this.

All that back and forth to the hospital several times a day is exhausting. It was really doing my Mum in when she was there by herself. Regardless, this is why I work so hard. For when it really matters, I can help those I love for a bit it won't completely kill us.

6 comments:

will said...

how old's your dad?

Jelaina said...

hope all goes well with Dad! when encountered with a bear just drop the coca-cola....

bowiechick said...

Dad is 74.

Coca-cola?

Jamie said...

Earwigs!?! Ooohh, those are on my list of least favorite things as well!

As to the bear, I'd put my money on you any day of the week.

It's lovely that you're able to help out ~ tell your dad that your whole blogsphere is pulling for him as well!

J

rob said...

Hi Tana thanks for your visit! it sound as if you had a really nice early life. What a nice lady you turned out to be! I hope you dad gets better soon! 74 is no age Im just 10 years shy of that :o((

Take care

rob said...

A lady I worked with at the park I ran was the keeper responsible for the Loch Lomond bear park bears ( and her husband too) in Scotland (I dont know if its still a going concern now) the bears used to hibernate in specially built underground accomodation. If they awoke early from their slumber and caught the keeping staff out they would make their way down to the town itself in search of food. It was nothing unusual for Dotty to be seen chasing bears all over the heather trying to round them up astride her bicycle, Her not the bears that is :o))