Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Pictures, cranberries and spiders

Apologies for the poor quality but I took these from my seat on the plane through the wee window. Other pics from this trip have been posted previously but here are the last remaining few of interest.
Just a little FYI for those of you who may not know this, British Columbia contributes 12% to the North American Cranberry production. And whilst I was tooling about on the BC Cranberry Grower's site I saw a link to spiders. I think it is mostly Wolf spiders that I am nurturing on my little spider farm that is the the side decks of the float house. They are nature's window screens to be sure and are no matter how many times I destroy their webs, by accident or with purpose, they've always got new web's up within hours. They move really, really fast.

I must stop beneath the Horse Chestnut trees in Moody Park in New Westminster and pick up some chestnuts. These are pretty good at repelling the wee beasties. Maybe I'll make it a craft project with the kids and we can make some big chestnut garlands to hang about.

I think it will be a good thing. Its going to take A LOT of chestnuts.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

If it works, I want to know about it!! Will hunt down chestnuts far and wide ~ I can't believe the size of some of these dang spiders! Pictures, please, when you make the garlands...

bowiechick said...

There are some chestnut trees on my way home from work. In early September they are usually dropping their nuts but it has been so freaking soggy I've not had enough ambition to even stop and see if there are any around on the ground still.

Great craft projects aside, I am all talk ya know...if it happens I'll have to go out and buy a lotto ticket too.

However, the chestnuts do work.