Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Addicted to the tide schedule

Since the ultra-low tides of last week, everything being on a tilt and waking up to things crashing about, I have been changing my evening bedtime habits a bit.

I am getting addicted to the tide schedule. I know if it goes below a .8, that I should ensure the dishes and the dish rack are away in their spots cupboard. Anything "loose" on the counter should go into the sink. I should turn off the valves to the toilet lest the downstairs one run on and on and the upstairs one leaking out from the handle and with the drip ending up in the middle of the galley downstairs. (I had thought it was leaking from the tank/bowl connection but I was wrong). I have to prop a stick against a stair tread so that the doors of the cabinet that I have there don't spill out its contents of screws, tools and paint.

I had thought about buying a bit of that metal strapping to go around the stem of my vintage floor lamp but realized that stuff was expensive and that I had tons of ribbon, grosgrain ribbon to be precise. That would keep the lamp from falling over just fine and it won't scratch the metal of the lamp. It's milk glass shade is hard to come by and I have replaced it twice to the tune of about $80.

I was always aware of the tide but not to the nuances of a point this, or that of a metre and what a difference they make to my general sanity. In general, I would avoid taking things up on shore until the tide was higher as we get 17 foot tides. I work hard enough and like a fool so why do it and struggle to get it UP THE RAMP? I realize now that I can take a .8 or a.7 and a .6 will keep me awake. Who knew a .5 would make a girl so cranky?

I was looking ahead to this week, wondering when the next .5 will hit me and how will I manage. The next big .5 is next Friday morning at 12midnight to about 3am. As long as I know this, I can mentally prepare for it. I have it printed out and I've highlighted the "nasty" parts.

Well I did fee a bit virtuous too Sunday as I managed to dig out a deadhead with stump attached that was coming down on the new dock and had pulled all THAT apart. I tell ya, it's a constant assault just staying ahead of the deadheads. I shoved some very valuable bits timber back under the ramp and out with the high water. Funny that we don't see the log salvage guys nearly as much as we used too. There are a couple more wedged in between the dock and into the mud but it would be impossible to get a boat in there to pull them out and I just don't have the strength to push on it with the pike pole.

2 comments:

rob said...

Tana! you are really something else, what a great job you do, Greg must be very proud of you, he`s a lucky man.

bowiechick said...

Yah, if only I didn't have any boats to fix up...Thanks Rob for all your eternal positivity!