The floathouse is up off the port bow of the Bowie, as we clean it up and do some renos before the big haul out. It gets more wave action at this end of the marina, but then when you're stuck in the mud at every low tide you don't tend to move much.
Greig and company pulled off the tarp that we've had on for the last year and we decided to bite the bullet and replace the roof. We're going to extend the roof back toward the stern and over the walk way around the top. It will for the short term be a bit too for a covered deck. Maybe one day that will be another room up there but for now we will just cover it.
I've got a two-person hot tub on the upper deck there. This one needs a new cover and I have to replace the skirting all around it. (Greig has been pressure washing the deck which is covered in that Duradeck material. The stuff has never impressed me much and I'll have to replace that too.) The tub used to sit smack up against the upstairs french doors and I think that was a poor spot as I can see where it leaked back into the loft and downstairs.
The floathouse seems to list starboard and is a bit bow heavy. Greig has pushed the hot tub back and filled it to give this boat a bit "more booty". Of course, when he did this, the french doors downstairs wouldn't open. Well, they wouldn't open and close that properly to begin with so we took a Skil saw and to the top and bottom to trim them up a bit and now they finally close properly. Mind you, I can't help but wonder if I should just replace the doors as they're damaged from what looks like a previous break in and a dog scratched the cedar doors to hell. Zoe, one of Bui's friends was rough-housing out there and broke one of the lights with his foot and I had a chunk of wood fly back off the table saw one day and cracked the light above that one. But I think I will endeavor to save what's there, for now at least.
I have always failed to see the charm in current cedar shake railing around the top too. It is hard to sweep as the gap between the floor and the bottom shakes isn't big enough to push a Q-tip through let alone a broom. I think there is also too much real estate lost from the taper from the floor to the railing too. Sure it makes it private, but its pretty darn ugly.
In the interim, I have been pulling out a million staples and caulking up a storm. I have started sanding the logs down in spots too though had momentarily considered re-painting the brown trim another colour. Since there is so much to do, I should tackle changing the logs alone and leave the brown of the logs the same.