Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Next time I will listen more to the dog

This is Floyd, Terry's dog, who is a total love pig. I was sitting on the back deck of the Bowie having a cup of Neo Critran nursing yet another sore throat and bug that I caught when the dog start barking like crazy. He wouldn't stop when we told him too as he kept looking down the dock along side the floathouse.

Terry rousted him to take him up to their room and I walked the dock just in case there really was something to be concerned about. The docks were creaking like they usually do and it has been a very busy night in the slough for some reason. We've had lots of tugs pulling barges and some at substantial speed so things are getting pulled and yanked quite a bit.

I just sat back down to drink the rest of it when I saw some of the planks on the dock lifting and something coming up beside the floathouse.

It came up really quick and Terry was right there watching how fast the thing came up. He pulled on one of the planks to get it out of the way. Kat, Terry and I pushed against the floathouse to give the log some room. I was lucky it didn't come up higher as you can see here.

The our good Husquvarna chainsaw is without its pull cord at the moment and our other gas saw is useless. Rhianna let me borrow her wee electric and Greig arrived home just in time to have at it. Presently it is still high tide and we will be on watch this evening as I expect more of this beast to rise up. I am just glad it didn't go all the way up the wall and into the ceiling. Oh ya, and that is the last of the outside lights I've not had a chance to replace yet too.

So when Floyd barks I promise to listen more. He warned us something was up. Good dog.

5 comments:

rob said...

Pow!!!!!!! a nasty near miss eh? you have a great man there make sure you keep hold him :o)) Take care

Tim Zim said...

Pretty scary looking!

That would be a reminder to get your gas chainsaw working.

Jamie said...

Oy vey ~ could have been worse, eh? Funny the parallels down south here ~ we have a Floyd too, but he's the dockmaster (still a grizzled looking old guy tho). We also have a Kat, who is one of Brock's captains. Did Greig cut his hair way short? I think I'm liking the look! Stay safe there, Flotsam Girl!

bowiechick said...

Yes Jamie, it has been recently buzzed. He doesn't have much there so when it gets longer you notice the patches more. It's a bit of an issue. I keep telling him bald is sexy but he doesn't believe me.

Yes perhaps your marina is like an opposite universe only you have pretty boats and a nice marina and well, we don't.

bowiechick said...

Yes Jamie, it has been recently buzzed. He doesn't have much there so when it gets longer you notice the patches more. It's a bit of an issue. I keep telling him bald is sexy but he doesn't believe me.

Yes perhaps your marina is like an opposite universe only you have pretty boats and a nice marina and well, we don't.