- "They’re flinchy people, mainly, who spend a lot of time waiting for things. When you’re waiting, you get very frustrated but you don’t want to shake things up. So they’re tense, bitter, sociable, gossipy and treacherous—a fine cross-section of the population."
- "They’re not going to mug you. They are going to try to get any cash you have, and God did they get a huge chunk of our last resources, but it was friendly, schmooze-based extortion, just like in the middle-class world."
- "Tom Cruise can go fuck himself. Prozac saved our lives. I won’t go into the sordid details but really, I don’t think we’d be here now if Saint Prozac hadn’t extended a sacred hand to us.
- "If you want a break from the relentless olfactory fact of being around unwashed large mammals, sidle up to somebody who smokes. That’s the one good thing about cigarettes, and it may be why losers all smoke. Don’t smoke just for that, though. Cigarettes are insanely expensive and turn lots of poor people into cringing beggars."
- "The old world is very much alive, and has it in for you. Do anything to keep it from killing you."
*(I am recuperating from 2.5 months of various and sundry antibotics for a strep/bladder infections which has turned out to be Mononucleosis. I had been taking Cipro but had a terrible reaction and handed the pills back to my doctor. It has really thrown my liver out of whack, given me killer migranes, nausea and the lymph nodes in my neck, particularly the left side are swollen out the wazoo.)