Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Foggy bottom days

*Update (01/26/09)- This photo is making the rounds on e-mail and Crackbook of our now lifted fog bank over the City of Vancouver, taken from Cypress Mountain at dawn. I have no idea who the photographer is so I have no idea how to credit him/or her. Too bad they didn't watermark the image.

Well, we got the big chill and now we're suffering through the big fog. Really for a port city it is rather surprising that we don't regularly have this kind of fog that we do. That said, it is a bit unusual for Vancouver proper. (Have at look at the Kat Kam link on the boat links to view the current conditions.)

The other night, I went out one evening on a run on the water taxi and English Bay was glass and the city was glorious but we came around Point Atkinson, en route to Bowen Island and hit a big fog bank. Greig is trained in navigating through fog but I found it completely unnerving and would find the stress of doing so on a daily basis for days on end a bit beyond the pale for me. That he is one of the only captains managing to maintain the schedule with only a five minute deviation is a testament. The conditions are horrible out there. He says there is lots of noise on the Vancouver Traffic channel and they are really earning their wages out there these days.

He went in to fill in on one shift the other day and had a family on board. The were a bit unnerved too with the visibility at zero. So, to ease their anxiety they started singing campfire like songs. Apparently the tune went a bit like...

No death today,No death today,
NO death today,No death today!!

As always I am forever facinated by the tools with which some people manage to cope with stressfull situations. I think humour is always the best way too.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Ooh, I like the song! I've trained Brock so that whenever I yell "We're gonna DIE" (it happens), he responds in a sexy movie hero voice "Not today."

I found it pretty exciting last night, but you're right, it's very tiring for the captain. You two stay safe out there!

bowiechick said...

Well, I am not usually out there on the water taxi on a regular basis as staff or otherwise. That night I just happened to go along for one of the trips.

rob said...

Just a thought would it be possible to change "Joy to the world" for Queens (freddie M) who wants to live forever? or something else as I go to sleep humming joy! and I wake up doing the same in fact I`m singing along with it at the moment, poor neighbours :o)) tee hee!

bowiechick said...

That is a GREAT song Rob. Funny thing you mention that Joy to the World song. I was in a bit of a hurry he day I made that slide show. I uploaded the thing and then that song just came on. I went back in to see how I could remove it and I couldn't! If anyone is able to suss out how I can do so I'll be all over it. I could only let a few bars of it play and then I'd go and mute it.

Think you'll just have to suffer through or start playing Freddie when you go off to sleep.

rob said...

Tee Hee! :o)) I cant stop singing along!!!!