Thursday, June 04, 2009

Off with the tarp!

Denis Jr, and his gal pal Rowan prepping the wood for Denis Sr.

We've been waiting for a good bout of weather to rip off the tarp and go hard on the roof. Seems like I took my first batch of vacation at a good time too for the weather is screaming hot (breaking records of 41C in the Fraser Valley. Alas the first day off roofing was about 33C and we were so unused to it that the next day had everyone hurting from heat/sunstroke. Well almost everyone as it seems I managed to escape it. Fortunately, the proceeding day gave Denis Sr a breeze so it made all that all so much more tolerable.

Here Denis Jr. and his mum Stacey work on finishing off the sheeting. It has been
partially done since April of last year as Greig started this a week or
two before we did the haul out.


Plastic sheeting covering the bed and Denis Sr. raised the skylite so it can
be removed when we feel like doing so.


I've lived under tarps of various storts for some six years. Once lived for a bit without one but that didn't last very long. I've had a tarp on the floatie for pretty much as soon as we got it for it leaked so bad. I don't know what it is like to not have one on it. Turns out, it is pretty bright.

Greig looking at the beautiful roof and thankful he's not
doing it.Those redhead's can't take the heat very well.


Here Miss Rowan and Stacey take a break on the back of the Express to
do Stacey's hair. A wee bit of roofin' and some hair-doo-in' in between...


It is almost done. Denis Sr. is putting down the last bit of middle as I write and I'll post the finals when it is all done. It looks beautiful and we've added a hatch to get up onto the roof so we won't have to get onto it from the back. I think that I will put down a floating deck so we can put a few chairs up there for it is a primo tanning spot. We have to suss out a proper drip edge for around the front as we've got a slight curve to it all. To have it done for that width would cost more than all the roll on put together. I think we can come up with an alternative that is far cheaper.

2 comments:

rob said...

Great job and looking good. I did my original garage roof when I built my house and that was thirty six years ago so I guess you can expect at least that from yours? Alas I now have to strip it off and do it again soon, Oh well! I guess I will wait until its winter and raining before I get started (my usual unplanned system of work
:o(( )

Jamie said...

Yeah, baby! Tarp-less existence ~ you have more than earned it!! Can't wait for the shots of the tanning spot when you have it done. Three cheers for summertime!