Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The beginning of the end

It is with mixed feelings I announce the sale of the MV Partnership II, aka, the floatie as I like to call it.

It has been sold to a nice young father of two. I didn't expect it to really happen after all we've had plenty of hull kic
kers. It isn't so easy for people to buy a boat let alone a live aboard for banks don't like to touch 'em. (Yes, Ocean Escape, I do concur.)

I would have been happy to remain on the floatie but alas Greig and I have some unresolvable lifestyle issues that neither of us are willing to compromise on. I did just that for a long time and it wasn't working for me. One boat was always enough. Six, too much. I dunno...is it just me? Am I really that much of a buzz kill? Is it really incredibly selfish on my part to want to do something else other than put all my energy into derelict ships and a revolving door of roommates who, more time than not, have serious anti-social or substance abuse issues? Yes, and for every "bad apple" there were two or three that were stellar and whom we consider family to this day. Renovating the boats, working a full-time job and a part time job was about all there was room for. But I wasn't doing it for me and so it left me fairly unfulfilled. The renos on the floatie were the most fulfilling for me and validated what I knew already that I really could do lots of it myself. I just needed
time to get to it and that was on the short end of the stick. Life is too short to be doing things you don't really wanna. And I wanna do many other things.

It seems that
Waterlogged is coming to an end. Greig has asked that at some point I will go through and make a proper book of the whole adventure. But I have mixed feelings on that too for there have been some incredibly painful things that Greig and I have been through as a couple. Great examples mind you on what NOT to do in relationships and how to kill them. And others have been hurt too but we've all made our respective choices so nobody can play blame game or victim cards. Maybe I'll self publish something through Lulu. A year or so ago I went back to review some of the posts and of course, one story inspires three others that I never got around to writing. It also was painfully obvious how much editing is required too. Mistakes notwithstanding, this has been a wonderful way to journal the whole affair and it just so happened a few people dropped around to read it and I made a few extra friends along the way. Thankfully too, should that time come I 've lots of editor friends who'd probably be eager to point out all my errors, bad grammar and spelling mistakes.

I'm moving ashore in a too expensive rental suite in a house, with a yard, that actually will let me take Tobias. I can walk to work and park that durn car! When I find some balance and equilibrium back in my life I may start on the
Hari Mai, unless of course it sells too. Truly, it's been my favorite boat of the whole bunch. Maybe I'll start a blog about that boat yet.

One of these days I'll finally shut down the Bowie site but I have to ask my web collegues on how to archive all that in a way that doesn't keep the url active, yet present as a reference point for the US-PCS class ships.

I had a dream about the Bowie last night. I am not one to ever remember my dreams, much as that frustrates me. In it and for some reason, we were down in front of Mitchell Island out on the river in front of it. I was on some boat. I looked over to the Bowie's stern and I thought it was looking too low in the waterline and clearly taking on water. Somebody better get that pump in the Laz going! Then it suddenly started sinking fast. My first thought was fear that somebody was on it and the only person not screaming was Dave L. cheering at its demise. It went down in the stern like an orca whale spyhopping and it rolled over and floated underneath us and drifted with the outgoing tide and river current. We poked at is uselessly with our pike poles. Then I woke up, with an incredible feeling of sadness. It was just a dream and is floating fine last I heard annoying Rolly still with its presence. Go Bowie Go!

Thanks all, it's been ducky.

16 comments:

IsmilebecauseIhavenoideawhatsgoingon said...

Hi Tana,

well. I for one will miss reading about your water based experiences, but none of us knows what life has in store for us round the corner, and I'm glad that you 'wanna do many other things' have a future to embrace and a life to live. I can appreciate maybe more than some the life eating quality that some vessels exhibit, the boats that just keep on taking. It's tough to keep dedicating just to a big floating THING, but to have put so much energy into that and being a kind of landlady/ head of alternative household/ unofficial social worker too I can see that after a while some things you just don't need to invite any more of. I sincerely hope that you can be proud of your own part in your experience on the water, and that even if you wrap up your own blog, that we haven't heard the last from you!.
Incedentally-ditto on the dream ting. I regularly dream of Wendy, and the sinking ones really stay with me- the effects on my waking mood range from nightmareish waking horror to renewing my determination and everything between. happens a lot.

Take care of yourself, good luck in whatever you get up to, and if you stop de blog-stay in touch somehow!

Seb
Wendy Ann 2

rob said...

Don`t go Tana, Well miss you! really :o((

Ocean Escape said...

Really sorry to read that your adventure is coming to an end and you're moving ashore. Maybe a different kind of liveaboard lifestyle might be more your thing?

You have a great writing style and I've enjoyed reading your blog, so please don't close down this site before letting us know your new blog address (you know you want to!)

Best wishes

Keith

Fran said...

Have really enjoyed your blog and the short time that we have been in contact, will be sorry to see you go. Good luck in the future and be happy. Fran x

mike said...

"We" bought a housebarge here in New York City.

Federal lawsuites, 7 surgeries, a trip to india with another woman I love, hatrid, trauma and then later....Its working better then it ever has. Ever.

Havent sold the barge yet though. Money shmoney.

So I guess we are a little connected.

bowiechick said...

Seb, many a post of yours has choked me up I must say. Wendy is a big project all by her lonesome isn't she? Alone it is enough.

I'll still lurk. I just don't feel I can write a live-aboard blog whilst being a landlubber. It's not really authentic. I won't "close" it per se but just won't post anymore.

Rob...you are one of my new best friends! You tell the most hilarious stories PLUS you are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for finding me.

Yup money shmoney...yes perhaps more connected in many ways...

gee shucks...I sure am feeling da love people!

bowiechick said...

Shortly before we got the Bowie, I had a call from a girlfriend who told me she had a dream that I was pregnant. Now apparently dreams of pregnancy are moreover about big new projects than they are literally about pregnancies.

I think the Bowie dream was more over not about it's actual sinking but putting to bed a significant chapter of my life and us both moving on to new things.

Then again, maybe it's all crap. I'd probably do a live aboard again under other circumstances preferably in a warmer climate, Like the Caymans or the South Pacific.

rob said...

"Then again, maybe it's all crap. I'd probably do a live aboard again under other circumstances preferably in a warmer climate, Like the Caymans or the South Pacific" Now thats the Tana we all love, You are not the sort of person to sit down with Tobias and vegitate or spent much of life looking behind. Give it a couple of months and reluctant lurker will become a full blown blog user again (I hope!) mark my words.

Caroline said...

Hi Tana, sure sorry to hear you're leaving but you've got to follow your heart Babe, and you've got a great one ... with your upbeat outlook the Law of Attraction will always ensure good things come your way... Lots of love from Caroline in Whitehorse

bowiechick said...

Thanks Caroline!

Rodeo Princess said...

Pathos is an art and a craft. You are an emotional gymnast, my dear, and will never live a quiet life. The tide is the truth. Play in the waves! All a round about way to say, Have a good life, girlie!

Don't lose my address. Are you on facebook? Friend me: Shirley Landis VanScoyk

bowiechick said...

OK Shirley! I'll hunt you down there.

Shirley Landis VanScoyk said...

BOWIE! I accidently rejected your comment and now I can not accept it, and I loved it - so poignant. I've cut and pasted it here (from the email). Could I bother you to resubmit it?


My 16 year old stepson Bui (pronounced boo-ee, it's Icelandic) came up to me a few weeks ago and said, "Tana, would you like me to sharpen your knives?" I said, "Oh Bui would you?" Bui has been doing a lovely job of sharpening my knives since he was about nine. Yes, I can hear the screasm..eight year old boy 'playing' with knives. But bollocks to that as he is responsible and careful and he has always done a really good job. That he wants to, heck, without my asking to help me, well it only seems right to encourage him.

He sharpened all my knives I was the happiest woman in the world. Dull knives drive him batty too apparently and are the surest way to cutting yourself. I am with you on the decent kitchen part. I chose my new house 'cos it had lots of kitchen cabinets and a DOUBLE sink and I still can cook with gas.

Jamie said...

Gulp. (Reads a bit) (Goes and mixes a vodka cran) (sits down) (reads a bit more)

Wow. Wow. Wow. That's a lot to process, but I think that after my initial shock has worn off, I'm with Rob ~ we haven't heard the last of Tana adventures. That being said, I understand completely, support you wholeheartedly, and am so very, very glad that I can count you as a friend. You are the most resilient woman I think I've ever met! Much love, darlin' & here's to nothing going THUMP in the night this winter at least!

will said...

ouch!! but we made the move from water to land six plus years ago . . . and other adventures lay ahead . . . marvels too. don't look back and don't write about it til you can say goodbye convincingly enough and can then see the highs and lows for what they are. keep in touch!!!

Overboard said...

Change can be both saddening but also liberating.